Re: Relationship between 23.1.90 pretest and 23.2 pretest?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Relationship between 23.1.90 pretest and 23.2 pretest?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 19:10:00 -0500

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
> I haven't read this thread. Did we just move to Bzr?  I missed the
> announcement.

We are moving now.

The first step is to make the CVS repository read-only.  Then Andreas
can do a clean final conversion, without worrying about, say, a
non-atomic multi-directory CVS commit being only partially included in
the conversion.

Thus there will be a brief period, while Andreas converts, when we can't
make commits to CVS but Bzr is not ready either.  It shouldn't be long;
I don't know exactly how long these conversions take, but my guess is a
day or less.  You can continue to commit to CVS until the repository
goes read-only, of course.

(I suppose there's an outside chance of a race condition, due to CVS's
non-atomicity, whereby some of a given commit gets in but not all,
because the admins make the repository read-only during the commit.  In
practice, I'm not worried about it.  There are ways they could avoid
even that small risk... but it's better just to let them do whatever is
easiest for them, so that it gets done sooner.)

-Karl