RE: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:49:23 -0700

> From: David Kastrup

[rabid foaming at the mouth elided]

> > Let's hear instead from those who use transient-mark-mode *without*
> > delete-selection-mode (intentionally, not just by default or from
> > ignorance of delsel). Let us know why t-m-mode without
> > d-s-mode is the right choice as a default for Emacs.
> > That could be an interesting discussion.
>
> Since I already gave examples and explained

It's interesting to see you respond to that call, indicating that you now use
transient-mark-mode, albeit without delete-selection-mode. Good to hear there
has been some progress. What made you switch to t-m-mode?

But you did *not* give any examples or explanation of why t-m-mode without
d-s-mode is a better default than d-s-mode. Not in any mails I received from
you, you didn't. Please point to one such example and explanation.

Did you mean this, perhaps:

> You can set the mark, move somewhere else, type stuff there,
> and return using C-x C-x, again typing stuff there, without
> destroying anything you have written.

Again, that's just a rehash of an argument why we should *not* even have
t-m-mode as the default. Please don't try to start that off-topic battle again.

The question is, "What makes t-m-mode without d-s-mode a better default than
d-s-mode?" Show me where you give an example or argument for that.

[more frothing and foaming trimmed]