Re: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:13:42 -0400 (EDT)

+ Chad Brown <address@hidden>:

> The beginner who finds itself with a highlighted region that it doesn't want
> highlighted will remove it by clicking with the mouse, like they do in every
> other editing context that they've ever used.  They will get no bell.

I experimented a little with this, and found some slightly annoying
discrepancies. Namely:

With no region active, use shift+movement commands to create a region. Hit an
unshifted arrow key, and the highlight goes away. So far so good.

Next, repeat this, but hit C-x C-x while the region is still active. Hit an
unshifted arrow key, and the highlight goes away. Okay.

Finally, hit C-x C-x again. The region is visible again, but this time,
unshifted arrow keys don't make it go away. This seems inconsistent, and might
well confuse the beginner who has just started learning about C-x C-x.

Regarding C-g and deactivating the mark: I understand that C-g behaviour is a
rather fundamental feature of emacs. Having it do the double duty of
deactivating the mark seems odd to me. But if it is to be so, how hard would it
be to make it ONLY deactivate the mark, and not ring the bell or do anything
else associated with it? Provided the mark is active of course. If it is not,
C-g should do its usual thing. This would have to be coded carefully, so that,
if deactivating the mark fails (if such a thing is possible) the standard C-g
behaviour happens anyhow.

- Harald