Re: Current head won't build

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Current head won't build
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:04:21 +0900

Andreas Schwab writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Andreas Schwab writes:
 > >
 > >  > What is bootstrap supposed to do with the unconfigured tree?
 > >
 > > Tell the user to run ./configure.
 >
 > IOW, your "solution" is guaranteed to fail.

No, actually, it works fine for me.  I've always done re-bootstraps
that way (admittedly, I've never tried a naked "make bootstrap" in
Emacs, I just use a script adapted from my XEmacs habits, which has
never had bootstrap target, although make beta comes close nowadays).
My customary configure options are embedded in the script, which does

# code to assemble configure options in OPTIONS

ln -sf beta.err.`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` beta.err
if test -e Makefile; then make distclean; fi
../configure >beta.err 2>&1 $OPTIONS \
&& make bootstrap >>beta.err 2>&1

Except that the user might not have saved off his configure line, I
really don't understand what the objection to distclean is.  It's not
like the configure step takes 10 times as much time as "make bootstrap"
itself does!