Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Please don't refer to Emacs as "open source"
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:57:04 +0200

On 06/16/2011 08:36 AM, Jambunathan K wrote:
>  When the first modern declaration of human rights showed up in french
>  revolution of 1789 it was closely followed by guillotines.

Ironically, when RMS comes in France to explain Free Software to French, he says most of the time: "I can explain free software in three words. Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité. Everything Sarkozy hates."

I agree with him :) Meaning, never forget who you are to succeed. Guillotines no longer exist in France, but French kept their values with La Marseillaise.

http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/La_Marseillaise

>  So I have some favor for the wording "Open Source" not with respect to
>  a precise license politics or specific institute, but because it's not
>  that pathetic, doesn't that have that smell.
While we are discussing about making the words culturally netural -
Andreas here is talking here from a French perspective -

Andreas forgot to say that most hackers in France are talking about Logiciel Libre (meaning Free Software), only businessmen are using the wording of "open source" there, in the aim to sell some logiciel privatif with Free/Libre software, plus some windows users who do not know the meaning. The fact is that THIS thread is US-centric, and I support RMS on his feedback.

Just my two cents :-)

--
Support free software! Join FSF: https://my.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom?referrer=4574