Re: Idea for C-x v u

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Idea for C-x v u
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:56:47 +0200

Óscar Fuentes skrev 2011-06-29 01:55:
"Jan D."<address@hidden>  writes:

Why not a customize variable vc-show-diff-before-revert that takes
values yes, no or ask?  Personally I'd set it to no.

Really?  If you type `C-x v u' by mistake, you lose your changes with no
possibility of retrieval.  If there's anything that needs a yes-or-no
prompt, vc-revert is it.

I have never hit C-x v u by mistake.

I have never hit C-x v u by mistake. Sometimes hitted them on the wrong
buffer, though.

Semantics, not an argument.

[snip]

Just because something may be lost
doesn't mean we should add yes-or-no for them all.

AFAIK, yes-or-no exists precisely with the purpose of being more
cumbersome to answer than y-or-no, as a way of saying: "beware: possible
data loss!"

The bzr command run in a shell does not ask. Why must Emacs be so much harder to use than the command line? Isn't the point of vc-mode to be convinient?

What if there is important text in a temporary buffer?

That's your fault. As the name implies, temporary buffers are made for
throwing them away.

And how is that different? Reverting the wrong file should be my fault also. Why am I treated as a stupid child in one instance but as a responsible adult in another?

I don't know why you are arguing for this. You can set default to be ask, I'm just asking for alternatives for those of us that don't what to be asked.

        Jan D.