Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 16:11:40 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev 2011-07-05 14.45:
Since there are problems with having Emacs check at run time
whether there is a configured MTA, I propose doing it inside
`make install'.

It could run a program that tries sending messages to certain chosen
addresses, and detects the results.  This program could afford to wait
a certain amount of time for the results to show up, with no danger it
will be terminated by a user who does not realize it is still working
on the problem.

Since `make install' is run as root, it could look for a bounce
message in root's local inbox too.

FWIW, I almost never run make install as root for Emacs.

        Jan D.