Re: Git mirrors

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:49:50 -0400

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:33:46 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > Why should you expect the Emacs project to behave differently from any
>  > other Free Software project?
>
> Because most of the projects in the class you have mentioned produce
> free *software*, but their political principles are those of the open
> source movement.  Emacs is different because it *is* a Free Software
> project.

I specifically mentioned Gawk and GDB, which are GNU projects as much
as Emacs.

> One could argue that Emacs should advocate the use of the
> strongest possible "team" of free software tools, rather than being
> biased to the use of GNU-labeled tools.  After all, the project has no
> problem labelling other non-GNU tools (TeX, perl, X11) as "part of the
> GNU System".  But choosing tools on technical capability is clearly
> not the policy of the GNU Project, so the point is moot.

Choosing tools solely on technical capability isn't the policy, true.
But that's not really the point, because I was talking about the
behavior _after_ a decision has been made, not about the decision
itself.  IOW, about "now", and not about "then".

>  > I fail to see how this interpretation can be gleaned from what's been
>  > said here.  Projects that use git as their VCS are not being accused
>  > of being "unfriendly competitors" to the GNU Project, and I, for one,
>  > don't think they are.  So what you say is simply unfair.  I hope
>  > fairness is still a virtue around here.
>
> Promoting an unusable tool merely because it had the GNU label is most
> definitely unfriendly competition.

Bzr is not unusable, so this argument is simply false.