Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Nix
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 22:19:13 +0000

On 7 Feb 2012, Alan Mackenzie said:
>     Testing awk-face-1.awk (fonts)  Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *cc-test*>
>
> .  This doesn't happen with XEmacs (though other errors do).

Thank you! Something for me to look at this weekend :) I may get
nowhere, we'll see...

>> The latest objection is that dumping CL would Emacs would increase the
>> size of the printed and bound Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the
>> FSF. I find this objection unconvincing because it applies to _any_ new
>> feature, and I don't think we're against adding new features to Emacs.
>
> I'd recommend not changing the policy on CL until it acquires a rigorous
> test suite.  I don't really trust it beyond use at byte-compile time.

To be honest, if the errors are that weird they may not be in cl at all
but in the Lisp evaluator (it is unarguable that cl makes use of some
elisp features to a degree that few other packages do). If the bug is in
there, would it still suggest that a cl testsuite was necessary?

--
NULL && (void)