Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 08:28:57 -0500

    The latest objection is that dumping CL would Emacs would increase the
    size of the printed and bound Emacs Lisp Reference Manual from the
    FSF. I find this objection unconvincing because it applies to _any_
    new feature, and I don't think we're against adding new features to Emacs.

The point is that it would make the CL functions part of the standard
Emacs namespace.  That has two problems:

* CL is ugly.  It is not well integrated with the rest of Emacs Lisp.

* We would have to document the CL functions in the manual, which is a
big increase in the size.  It is not that that is totally intolerable,
it's that the benefit is not worth the burden.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110