Re: list-packages: Marking packages as "uninteresting"?

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: list-packages: Marking packages as "uninteresting"?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 18:26:33 +0530

> Enabling users to add a tag would be the most flexible approach.
>
> I am not a huge fan of categorization as a solution to all evils,
> because it's basically a case of shoving things into drawers --
> and then later not knowing what drawer you stuck it into. Emacs
> with  incremental seach makes such things unnecessary:-) So if we
> do categorize and collapse things based on catagorization, let's
> implement that using invisibility specs since that works with
> isearch --- so I wouldn't need to know if you stuck say
> "org-mode" in the authoring drawer or the "gtd" drawer or
> whatever, I'd just isearch for org and get it.
> --

The only package that interests me are packages that I have already
installed or packages that are new.

I often use
  M-x customize-changed RET

or use NEWS to "explore" new stuff.

For example,
  M-x list-changed-packages RET

could either prompt for a Emacs release or a timestamp and list packages
that were modified in the intervening period.  A PACKAGE-NEWS file could
be introduced which is current archive-contents *together* with the
*-readme.txt.

Or

There could be a sort option based on create/modify time.

ps:

I only wish that timestamps that I see in the below listing

http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/?C=M;O=D

give an idea of when a *particular* package was created/modified as
opposed to when the package *tar* was published.  Save for Org, all
packages have "05-May-2012" has modified date.  This is not that helpful
for discovery.  For example, I would have liked to know when 'csv-mode'
made it's debut.