[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: RefTeX Merge
Re: RefTeX Merge
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:44:27 +0200
* Chong Yidong (2012-09-24) writes:
> Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
>> One possibility is to create a new directory
>> lisp/textmodes/reftex, move the RefTeX source there,
>> and create a ChangeLog there, starting the ChangeLog with all the
>> old history followed by a note saying what happened.
> No. Since reftex.el is one file, it is not worth creating a
> subdirectory just for it.
RefTeX consists of eleven Lisp files. It might not be a bad idea to put
them into their own directory.
> When a file is synched to the Emacs repository, the ChangeLog typically
> only describes the differences relative to the previous version. That's
> usually a truncated version of the file's full ChangeLog history, but in
> practice this hasn't been a big problem. Adding a big mass of ChangeLog
> entries is not very helpful for people browsing the Emacs ChangeLog.
That's where a separate ChangeLog file could make sense. But I agree
that it would not be a good idea to put the whole ChangeLog from the
standalone version in there. I'd have to check how much effort it would
be to write down the changes relative to the current version in Emacs.
It could be a bit of work. (c:
> How large are the ChangeLog entries in question?
The ChangeLog is about 26 kB. One could shave off a bit of it by
removing the entries related to the Makefiles. Here is a link if you
want to have a look:
> Putting them in the
> commit log may be a fine solution.
If the log can take such amount of data, then I would be fine with it.
And besides that I'd prepare a shorter entry for the ChangeLog file.
> (Normally, one would use bzr join to
> preserve the history, but bzr join seems to be badly broken.)
Now that would be a nice solution. RefTeX is currently maintained in a
CVS repository, though. I'm not sure if this makes matters better or
Re: RefTeX Merge, Glenn Morris, 2012/09/23
- RefTeX Merge, Ralf Angeli, 2012/09/23
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Paul Eggert, 2012/09/23
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Chong Yidong, 2012/09/24
- Re: RefTeX Merge,
Ralf Angeli <=
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Richard Stallman, 2012/09/24
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Tassilo Horn, 2012/09/25
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Ralf Angeli, 2012/09/26
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Tassilo Horn, 2012/09/26
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Stephen J. Turnbull, 2012/09/26
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Stefan Monnier, 2012/09/26
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Chong Yidong, 2012/09/26
- Subdirectories in `lisp', Stefan Monnier, 2012/09/26
- Re: RefTeX Merge, Ralf Angeli, 2012/09/30