Re: the amazing (and amazingly old) filladapt mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: the amazing (and amazingly old) filladapt mode
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 08:59:22 -0400

> Does anyone else use filladapt mode for filling paragraphs? This thing
> is great. It modifies fill-paragraph to handle a wide variety of line
> prefixes. See examples below. It's hosted by the author here:

As you probably saw from the answers, the situation is rather sad:
- It won't make it to GNU ELPA for political reasons.
- Even if it weren't for the political issues, it won't make it into
  Emacs proper because of implementation details.

OTOH, I did look into improving fill.el to do filladapt-style things,
many years ago, and still have some of the resulting features around.

But for some reasons, I got distracted along the way, and then the code
bit-rotted a little, so it's not "ready for inclusion" and will instead
require a re-implementation.  But at least, some of the implementation
should be fairly easy.

So I suggest you M-x report-emacs-bug to request enhancements, listing
the cases that you care about.

        Stefan