Re: GSoC 2013

From: Daimrod
Subject: Re: GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 14:22:23 +0200

> address@hidden writes:
>
>  > Some of us are making a best effort.
>
> Good for you.  But GSoC is based on orgs, not on individual mentors.
>
>  > The effort doesnt show much on this list because its not here its
>  > taking place.
>
> I don't have a problem with that.[1]  I do have a problem with a
> situation where students announce moments before the proposal deadline
> that they need mentors, and at the last minute a pseudo-org is created.
>
>  > Damirod wrote the proposals etc, and he made a good job.
>
> ?? I thought students write proposals?  Do you mean the ideas page?

I wrote both of them and I am a student.

> When I looked at the GNU Project ideas page around the end of the org
> application period, I couldn't find any details on Emacs projects (and
> the page was pretty scanty overall).

I have only added an entry for Emacs at the beginning of last week, I'm
sorry.

> Footnotes:
> [1]  I admit I'm curious where it's taking place.  Everything I've
> seen on the Google mentors' list indicates it's best practice to
> organize the "GSoC (sub)org" (including admin, mentors, and their
> backups) on the community's usual dev channels, and explicitly move
> evaluation to a private, mentors-only channel.  Opinion is divided on
> whether proposals should actually be discussed in public before the
> due date.

IMHO a project needs to be well organized when:
1. the project wants to be involved in the GSoC;
2. there is a lot of students;

From what I've seen, that's not the case for Emacs. As you've pointed
out, Emacs doesn't have an ideas page, and only two students have
expressed themselves after I've told I wanted to participate to the
GSoC. Besides, Emacs doesn't need to be a formal organization because it
is under the GNU umbrella.

--
Daimrod/Greg