Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:39:12 +0200

On 20.02.2014 20:13, Richard Stallman wrote:
     Richard, have you tried discussing this with GCC developers recently?

I don't follow you.  What exactly is it you suggest I discuss with
them?  I can discuss things with them, but to do so usefully I need
to know what issue to raise.

You could discuss adding code completion, as a core GCC feature, or as an actively maintained plugin.

Basically, you'd be able to call GCC with a certain argument, pass it the path to a file, line and column within it, and GCC would output a list of possible completions at that point (with some type information: e.g. if a completion is a function, it would include the arglist and the return type).

It should also support receiving the contents of the file from stdin, because this way the buffer doesn't have to be saved, for code completion to work. Clang supports that.

I couldn't find any real documentation for the format of the Clang completion output, but you can see some examples at the beginning of this page of this random forum thread: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=13559.15

     Considering your distaste for Clang, this page should look pretty
     embarrassing: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CodeCompletion

I looked at it and saw no obvious point.  However, I did not follow
the links because that would have taken me another day.

No need. My point is, the wiki of the official GCC website "promotes" Clang because GCC itself lacks the respective feature.