Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 22:23:10 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 21:41:18 +0300
>
> On 08/04/2015 09:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > So project.el is supposed to allow extracting information from
> > projects, but is not supposed to help in defining a project?
>
> If I understand you right, it is not.

It is not what?  There are 2 parts to that sentence, which one are you
refuting (or confirming)?

If you are saying that both parts of what I said are correct, then why
did you and Stephen spend so many time discussing how to define those
pieces of information for a project?  It shouldn't be part of the job;
instead, you should look at what information is provided as part of
defining a project by different means out there, for example, in a
Makefile.

E.g., there are a couple of standard ways to specify in a Makefile the
directories where the project's files live.  Other significant parts
of a project's information in a Makefile are recipes to build the
project, to install/uninstall it, to clean the tree, etc.  Also,
various standard commands, like compilation command, link command, a
command that creates a library and a manual, etc.

These are all clear candidates for "project information an interested
Lisp program would like to extract", no?