Re: find-file-project

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 21:26:38 -0400

> You might have to use a different `category' and set
> up a `completion-category-overrides' entry that would only use
> `partial-completion' as its style.

Indeed, the kind of completions you're suggesting will require
such tweaks.
But I also think they'll require a new completion style.

> You'll be able input "/file", and it'll match "foo/bar/file.el".

I don't see how `partial-completion' would do that.
[ I did have some earlier version of partial completion match "**/file"
  to "foo/bar/file.el", but the current code doesn't have that, and even
  less so without a "**".  ]

> Later, we can even add a new, more permissive style. We could use it in
> other places as well.

I'd love to have new completion styles, indeed.

Suggestions:

- combine substring and partial-completion,
  e.g. "a*l/b" can find "cable/rob.el".

- foo/bar should be able to find "tv/football/field/barberis.txt".
  I.e. like `partial-completion' but if "foo" doesn't match anything,
  look for it recursively.

- Same thing but where the order doesn't matter: bar/foo should also
  find "tv/football/field/barberis.txt".  This one should probably
  automatically recurse, even if there is a match in the current directory.

- maybe "bar/foo" should also find "tv/myfootball/field/umbertobarberis.txt".

        Stefan