Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 13:58:28 +0100

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

My personal preference is that the expected behaviour of searches is more related to the locale of the user, rather than that of the document being searched. In other words, as a non-Spanish speaker, I'd expect to be able to find ñ when searching for n, even if the document I'm searching in is in Spanish. There are definitely an infinite number of counter-examples to this (enough to keep this thread going for another 100 messages, I'm sure), but at least there is reason to consider making the default based on the locale of the user.

But what locale? The keyboard makes the most sense, I guess, but plenty people switches between layouts (native and English, say) and it might be confusing to have different search results based on that.

The "main" locale surely will not work IMO. I use a Scando keyboard, my Gnome is set to Spanish, and I mostly compose documents in English, German or Danish....

Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs