Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs vers

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs versions
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 14:37:06 -0400

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
As I wrote elsewhere, I don't object to outline-only solution.

Of course we could write another function and make it do what we wanted for a limited set of callers but the reason we are discussing it and trying to have sort-lines changed is to help all callers of sort-lines.  My suggestion is that if anyone has a use case where this change would hurt a caller of sort-lines that they list it here so that it can be part of the discussion.

There is also the second part of the patch which makes forward-visible-line be callable the same way as forward-line, which will also help callers of those functions.

  The
proposed solution would have a much wider effect.

As intended.

Bob