Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 01:30:53 +0100

David Requena Zabala <address@hidden> writes:

>>In that discussion, you asked technical questions about
>>the implementation of scroll-bar support in Emacs, on X and on
>>MS-Windows,
>
> and I answered your questions by pointing to the relevant
> functions which implement that support.
>
> Thanks for that.‎ I also seem to remember you bluntly denied a related
> issue with the configure script which you latter corrected :-)

I don't see it that way. You described a problem, Eli mentioned that he
was unable to reproduce it and asked for details. If there is any
bluntness on his message, blame it onto the limitations of written
communication combined with a very busy maintainer.

>> At no time in that discussion you proposed something, let alone some
>> code, that was rejected.
>
> This! no code, good or bad, came ever out of this to be proposed for
> inclusion into emacs. And that's for a very definite reason: the
> novice who wrote it wasn't willing to put up a fight just because no
> new C code is welcomed any longer into emacs.

Where on that exchange was mentioned that a C-based contribution would
be problematic? Quite the contrary, when you asked:

   At any rate, if someone was to implement an hypothetical
   '--without-w32-toolkit-scroll-bars', would it take entering much into
   the elisp realm?

Eli replied:

   No, it shouldn't touch the Lisp level at all. The implementation of
   the scroll bars is entirely on the C level.

followed by a 8-line paragraph describing where to begin if you are
interested on implementing the feature.

So, by taking the time to guide you, Eli in fact was explicitly saying
that your C-based feature would be welcomed.

Please, it is very important to be rigorous with those matters. You are
accusing a maintainer of doing something toxic for the project when in
fact he did the opposite. By spreading such misinformation on a public
forum it is you who are discouraging would-be contributors.

[snip]