Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 16:32:07 -0500

  > Here's the scenario: suppose I can convince your Emacs to parse a
  > carefully crafted network packet that triggers a bug in Emacs and lets
  > me overwrite arbitrary memory in your Emacs process. Today, I win, in
  > the sense that I gain complete control over your Emacs process and can
  > do anything Emacs can do.

That reasoning is logically valid -- but is it really a plausible
scenario that Emacs's parsing of a packet would have a bug that
clobbers other unrelated memory?

What Emacs does with the contents of an incoming packet is mainly
to turn it into Lisp objects and make that available at Lisp level.
That means not much opportunity for such a bug to occur.

--
Dr Richard Stallman