Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master has switched from Automake to GNU Make
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:54:13 +0200

> If you merge that commit or any child of it *with*
> conflicts (the conflicts can be unrelated) then the whitespace check
> is triggered when you commit the resolution.

I have definitively encountered this case before too.

> Furthermore, I believe the whitespace check is only installed if you
> run './autogen git' or './autogen all'. If you just plain './autogen'
> then the git hooks are not installed.

I always run './autogen.sh' because IIRC that is (or at least was) the
recommended way.

> I guess most people are rebasing instead of merging or didn't install
> the git hooks and hence don't see this kind of failure.

I never rebase.  Whether and how I installed the hooks is beyond my
knowledge.  But IIUC Michael who committed the changes in
SpecialCasing.txt did not install the hook.

martin