Re: Commit 49c0ff2 "Don't bind org-agenda .."

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: Commit 49c0ff2 "Don't bind org-agenda .."
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 00:34:03 +0200

Hi Glenn,

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> That's only true if an Org "sync" is yet again going to be just a dump
> of the files from Org on top of the ones in Emacs. As has been explained
> before, this is not how to do it. In relevant branch of the Org repo,
> construct the diff between the current revision and the last revision
> that was synced with Emacs. Then apply that diff to Emacs.

One problem is that the set of files in Org's repo is not the same
than the set of files in Emacs org/ directory.

So we cannot simply use ~$ git diff release_8.2.0 release_9.0.8 to
produce a patch that we would apply in the Emacs master branch.

We can produce individual patches for all the relevant files, though,
then carefully apply each of them, just to check that we are not
overwriting Emacs-only changes.

If there is a better recipe that does not involve maintaining another
branch in the Org repo, please let me know.

> It really seems to me that keeping code in two repositories does not
> benefit either users or developers (witness the apparent problems caused
> by one single, simple commit). Did the project to include elpa packages
> in Emacs releases stall?

I don't know about this, but I think Org should be used instead of
outline-mode for etc/TODO, etc/*NEWS, and some other files, and if
we go that way, Org needs to be part of Emacs core.

If such a move requires to trim Org's core from some non-essential
features, I'd still be in favor of it.

But I agree we should only use one repo, either Emacs or Org.

--
 Bastien