Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 18:38:36 +0300

> From: Filipe Silva <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:02:55 -0300
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Eli
> ​, thanks so much for your work on this. I means a lot to have this feature
> implemented in the timeless editor.
>
> I'm an evil-mode user and this is one of the features I miss most in vim:
> relative line numbers. But let me be
> more clear:
>
> Vim implements​ relative line numbers in a way that the "relativity" aspect
> is based on the visible lines of the
> buffer.
>
> This means that, for example, in an org-mode buffer, where you have a bunch
> of lines collpsed, you would
> number those visible lines with numbers relative to the line of point, and
> not based on the "real" relativity.

Yes, this was already requested.  I understand that there are no Emacs
packages that offer this feature right now, is that right?

Anyway, implementing this will need to code a whole different method
of counting lines (the current branch just reuses the same code which
produces the line numbers in the mode line), so I will need to
experiment to see if it can be implemented fast enough to avoid
slowing down redisplay, which is already slower in folded buffers.
IOW, this feature will take some time to implement correctly.

Thanks for the feedback.