Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 23:27:08 +0700

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM, Filipe Silva <address@hidden> wrote:

> Vim implements relative line numbers in a way that the "relativity" aspect
> is based on the visible lines of the buffer.

> Why this is useful? because it gives vim/evil-mode users the power to
> rapidly move through the visible lines in the window. If I want to jump to a
> line in the buffer that I'm interested in, I just have to take a peek at the
> relative number and then I know what to do. I just: 9k, to jump 9 lines
> down. This is actually super powerful.

What about deleting 9 lines? Does deletion work in terms of visual or
logical lines in vim?

In Emacs, as far as I can tell, visual line movement only affects
movement, killing still works by logical lines.

That may mean you’d need relative visual line numbers when you are
going to press a movement (<up>/<down>/C-n/C-p) key, and relative
logical line numbers when you are going to press a kill-line key
(<C-S-backspace> or C-k).