Re: package.el strings

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: package.el strings
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 18:11:30 -0400

>> I meant just the outer (format "%s%s%s%s" ...) vs (concat ...).  Is that
>> also needed to make strings localizable?  If yes, I think adding a
>> comment would be helpful, because it looks a bit unnatural to me.
>
> Oh, you mean (format "%s%s%s%s" ...) vs an eventual (concat "%s%s%s%s" ...) ?

Sorry, I was trying to elide the the less relevant parts, but I see it's
making things less understandable.  Let me just spell it out in full:

Instead of this:

   (format "%s%s%s%s"
           (if (not delete) ""
             (format "Packages to delete: %s. " (package-menu--list-to-prompt
delete)))
           (if (not install) ""
             (format "Packages to install: %s. " (package-menu--list-to-prompt
install)))
           (if (not upgrade) ""
             (format "Packages to upgrade: %s. " (package-menu--list-to-prompt
upgrade)))
           "Proceed? ")

I think this would be a bit clearer:

   (concat
    (when delete
      (format "Packages to delete: %s. " (package-menu--list-to-prompt delete)))
    (when install
      (format "Packages to install: %s. " (package-menu--list-to-prompt
install)))
    (when upgrade
      (format "Packages to upgrade: %s. " (package-menu--list-to-prompt
upgrade)))
    "Proceed? ")

> It there a length limit in emacs code ?

Um, I thought there was a convention of generally trying to keep things
within 80 columns, but now I can't find anything saying that.  I may
have just been thinking of other non-Emacs projects.