Re: CC Mode and electric-pair "problem".

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: CC Mode and electric-pair "problem".
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 04:00:17 +0100

Hi Alan,

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, "error" might be putting it a bit strongly.  Mainly, it's a
> reminder to somebody typing in a string to close it off properly.

Yeah, precisely. Hence it would be ideal to annotate it, but not break
whitespace autoskip over it.

>> only recently changed parts of the buffer, and a much faster
>> syntax-checking backend could be devised.
>
> All I can reply with, at the moment, is ... Hmmmm.  :-)

That's a more than reasonable reply to my vaporware. I'll let you know
when I have something more concrete.

>> when the code becomes stable, I can can increase the complexity of
>> elec-pair.el a bit to make it work in c++-mode.
> I think the increase in complexity would be quite small, and very
> local.

That remains to be seen... Nevertheless, if we're talking about this one
test, my offer stands: I can add a variable to control this (which
c-mode will have to set since it's not going to be the default).

>> BTW do all cc-based modes "forbid" multi-line strings?
>
> No.  Pike Mode has a special feature whereby a string starting with #" is

So Pike Mode keeps the whitespace skip, right?

João