RE: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 07:30:08 -0700 (PDT)

> And, btw, I find nothing wring with this habit of mine, the only
> problem here is that someone decided that "C-x C-x" should activate
> the region.

Yes. `transient-mark-mode' does it.

Consider a replacement for `C-x C-x' that does not activate
the region. And a command to only activate it (without
swapping point and mark), so you can still activate it on
demand.

Coupling swapping point and mark with activating the
region - as the only way to do the former - was probably
a mistake.

It's OK to provide a command that couples the two, for
convenience for those folks (most of us?) who want that.
But perhaps we should now consider having two different
commands (plus the convenience combo).

> > So I'm not sure it's an argument against d-s-m, really.
>
> Indeed, it could be an argument against "C-x C-x" and/or
> transient-mark-mode, except that "C-x C-x" was there first.

Yes.