Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 23:41:37 +0200

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

>> We have the no-deps package, but with dozens of MB of debug info and a
>> duplicated large binary. I doubt this benefits 0.1% of the Emacs user
>> base. And that benefit is just a minor convenience for them.
>
> I made the no-deps package to address your use case -- when you have the
> dependencies already. Size was not my primary concern.

In my view the no-deps is geared towards those who just want to edit
text. It is great to have image support, but I'm sure many Emacs users
don't really care. A different thing is the lack of grep/find, though.

>> And then we have the issue with general bloat in IT and the associated
>> waste. I feel morally obligued to not contribute to that waste.
>
> I agree that this is morally correct; but then so is producing free
> software which is competitive with non-free software. I do not believe
> that an Emacs incapable of loading jpgs or using its own package manager
> securely fulfils that objective.

See above. However, I was referring to the debug info and emacs.exe
duplication, not to the accompanying software that goes with the
no-no-deps.