Re: Tabs

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 09:28:26 +0000

Hello, Juri.

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 23:45:07 +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
> There is a long story of several attempts to implement tabs in Emacs.

I know tabs as things which move visually to the next column 8n.  I only
know vaguely what "tabs" means in this new sense.  A @dfn{tabs} would be
greatly appreciated.

> Finally now a complete implementation is available for these
> etc/TODO tasks:

The documentation in the Emacs manual still needs to be finished.

I've tried several of the new commands on a Linux tty, including
tab-bar-mode, and C-x 6 b.  Although they didn't throw any errors, none
of them appeared to do anything.  Is the new mode intended to work on a
tty?

[ .... ]

> Keybindings for the tab-bar:
>   C-TAB     - switches to the next frame tab;
> S-C-TAB     - switches to the previous frame tab.

I don't think C-TAB and S-C-TAB exist on a typical tty keyboard.  They
don't on the default Linux tty keyboard.

> Clicking on the plus sign adds a new window configuration tab to the tab-bar.

Is there a keyboard equivalent?

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).