Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 18:43:20 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes, I guess ideally it would take a list of vc-states like
>> up-to-date, edited, needs-update (probably with the exclusion of
>> unregistered) and list the files in any of the given states.
>
> Why exclude unregistered? I don't imagine they would slow anything
> down.

Because IMHO they are not interesting except if they were just created
by myself and not yet added which seemed like a minor edge case (and at
least git ls-files lists files which are not yet committed but staged).
And because it seems to me that git is more an exception in being able
to list unregistered files.

> In addition to states, the command will likely need a second argument:
> the list of ignores.  It can default to whatever Git ignores already,
> but we could also just pass the whole list of ignores anyway.
>
> Speaking of ignores format, maybe they should just be whatever the
> backend in question understands, e.g. the contents of gitignore
> verbatim.

I don't see how that would work except by modifying (or moving back and
forth) the existing .{git,hg,bzr}ignore to include project-vc-ignores.

Bye,
Tassilo