Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 18:17:41 +0200

Hi Dmitry,

I have to admit that I've lost track over what we're actually trying to
do exactly.  My main motivation was just to get a faster project-files
implementation for the Git repo I have at work.  I've now fixed that on
my end using a simple caching approach which is good enough for me ATM.

So I think that your current idea is to:

- No general VC list-files operation since we can come up with good
  versions just for Git and Hg anyway.  Fine with me.

- I'm not sure if we're on the same board when it comes to ignores.

If you want me to implement something I fear you have to explain the
ignore story again.  I don't know what you imply by renaming the
parameter from EXTRA-IGNORES to ALL-IGNORES.  Do you mean that the
patterns in .{git,hg}ignore (and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore,
$GIT_DIR/info/exclude) should be part of the ALL-IGNORES list (in
addition to project-vc-ignores) and parsed from those files?  Processing
3 files in the case of Git and handling 3 ignore syntaxes (regexp, glob,
rootglob) in the case of Hg doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Bye,
Tassilo