Re: are contributions on other programming languages than C and Emacs li

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: are contributions on other programming languages than C and Emacs lisp bad idea?
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:22:04 +0200

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 10:28:37AM -0600, Jorge Javier Araya Navarro wrote:

El s?bado 21 de septiembre del 2019 a las 0346 horas, Stephen Leake escribi?:

There is an example currently in ELPA; the wisi package provides a
parser generator written in Ada, and an elisp interface that runs the
generated executable in an external process. The ada-mode and
wisitoken-grammar-mode packages use wisi.

This requires an Ada compiler to fully install the packages.

So far, this is all focussed on ada-mode; users of that mode are very
likely to have a native Ada compiler installed, so there's no extra
burden. But if other modes are implemented using wisi, it could become
one. On the other hand, gcc provides an Ada compiler, so it's not a
big burden.

I'm actually looking to do something like this but for JavaScript, there are
several packages in
Rust that can help parsing JavaScript code and I thought this could become
handy and replace the
existing parsing written in Emacs Lisp.

While I am find with the consideration of adding new languages to
develop/extend emacs... I am pretty sure there should be also some
projects to parse javascript in C... We only need to contact the authors
of the projects to ask them about their position to use their
code...
For emacs with rust there is an interesting project under developement:

https://github.com/remacs/remacs

That maybe is the future ;) who knows...