Re: Where to place third-party C source code?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Where to place third-party C source code?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 09:31:14 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 21:29:52 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Jorge Araya Navarro <address@hidden>
>
> I was wondering if placing third-party C source code that is used in any
> feature I would like to implement in the Emacs project is "against the
> rules", sort of speak.

I don't understand the question.  Any feature supported by Emacs that
needs C-level support has some C code in one of the Emacs C source
files.  There's no "third-party" code, everything is part of Emacs
proper.

>     [...] you can use the library in a larger project by adding one source
> file to the project. This source file needs three directories to be in the
> include path when compiled:
>
>     source file:
>     - tree-sitter/lib/src/lib.c
>
>     include directories:
>     - tree-sitter/lib/src
>     - tree-sitter/lib/include
>     - tree-sitter/lib/utf8proc

I don't see why we would need this method, since tree-sitter is a
library, and Emacs can be linked against that library.  What you quote
is an alternative method, but why would we need such an alternative?

Of course, this is all putting the wagon ahead of the horse: we should
first discuss whether we want to have Emacs be able to link to that
library and provide the related features.  An alternative would be to
have an unbundled module that uses the Emacs module API.