Re: Install C source code for for debugging help

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Install C source code for for debugging help
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 23:03:12 -0500

On 9/27/19 9:40 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Both you and my (and others on
this list) have the sources installed,
Not really. I am typing this email on a laptop that has Emacs installed,
but there are no C sources in sight because Ubuntu doesn't supply them
as part of Emacs.
So if I refer to something in the sources, or send a C-level patch,
you cannot do anything useful with that information?

It depends on which version of Emacs you were referring to.Typically when you and I interact, it's about Emacs master, and that's different from what Ubuntu ships. So I wouldn't expect my laptop Emacs to match your email exactly; in order to do something useful and reliable with your email I'd need to put a copy of Emacs master on my laptop, or use my laptop to log into a computer that already has a copy of Emacs master (the latter is what I typically do).

However, if we were talking about Emacs 1:26.1+1-3.2ubuntu2 (which is the latest version on stable Ubuntu, and is what I run on my laptop), then I'd expect my Emacs C-h f help buttons to match our conversation. Unfortunately, this does not currently work for C-language functions. Although it's unlikely that you and I would discuss this particular Emacs version as you don't use Ubuntu, it's quite possible I'd discuss this Emacs version with other Ubuntu users and it'd help such discussions if C-h f worked for us.