Re: Imenu and structured documents

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Imenu and structured documents
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 16:50:33 -0600

On 28/09/2019 16:16, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> . 2017
>> . . 2017 January
>> . . 2017 February
>
> In Imenu, the submenu structure usually doesn't reflect the document
> structure, but instead it is just a fixed structure for different
> *categories* of entries (e.g. functions-vs-classes-vs-variables), so I'd
> expect all the sections and subsections to just be placed within the
> same "level".
>
> I use Imenu via the minibuffer (with completion) rather than via mouse
> selection in a GUI menu (or via Speedbar).  I'm not sure if it's the
> more common way to use Imenu, but it's one where this flat structure
> works fairly well.

Thanks Stefan, this is useful information.

Do you use imenu with latex-mode? From the description of your use case
I think you do not use it with org-mode. Is prefixing sublevels with an
indicator that represent the hierarchy as done in latex-mode something
desirable? I may imagine that it can be annoying is the goal is
completion in the minibuffer.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Dan