Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 20:07:40 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 16:26:45 +0000
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> Do you agree that the new 'flex' style should -- by default -- mark
> the matched pattern strongly and prominently (at least as
> prominently as completion-first-difference), so that the user gets
> help in choosing the completion, in much the same way as he gets
> such help in VScode, Sublime, Atom, Helm, Ivy, etc.?

No, I don't agree.  Highlighting the matched pattern in the context of
completion makes very little sense to me.  It is immaterial, at least
when I review the candidates to find the one(s) I'm after.

> If you are opposed to this, and you can't be convinced, we agree
> to disagree and I'm going to go do something else. If you are for it,
> I think we've collected some alternatives that do that, each with
> advantages and drawbacks.

If enough people want this, we could make it an optional behavior.  I
don't want to dictate to others what are their preferences.