Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 20:51:12 +0200

I think this thread lacks focus.  I think you should take a step back
and first decide on the _purpose_ of highlighting parts of the
completion candidates.  I don't think I saw the purpose discussed and
agreed upon anywhere; apologies if I missed something.

The purpose of completion-first-difference is to help the user decide
what to type next.  What is the purpose of highlighting other parts of
the candidates?  (If there is no useful purpose, then we might as well
do nothing and leave completion-first-difference the only important
highlighting in all kinds of completion.)