Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: VOTE: Changing completions-common-part face's default
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 10:27:15 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 07.11.2019 1:14, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Honestly, I'd rather [...]
> Yes, sure. But that's an easy bar to clean because I'm fine with what
> we have now (no highlighting for common-part). blue3 is *very*
> noticeable, which brings back the main objection to using it for
> prefix completion.
>
> I recognize others feel differently, though.

It seems to be more than "feeling".  Have you asked yourself why the
whole industry seems to does it differently (i.e. with bold or some
other contrasting color)?  I think it's because not all people have your
spectacular eyesight and not all of them have such great monitors (or
use them at a more conservative power setting).

> then I would really suggest we use it instead. But if it's not legible
> for you, e.g. my monitor is unusually high-contrast or whatever, oh
> well.

If the proposal is blue4 than my votes changes to "against".  The
reasoning is that it is counter-productive.  I imagine a new user
enabling, say, M-x fido-mode in Emacs 27, and asking himself "If they
were going to choose face for this, why choose this
near-indistinguishable, vision-straining thing?".  There's no space
there to answer "oh, you see, some people didn't like highlighting at
all, mostly in other matching styles you're not going to use, so we
chose this crappy middle-of-road compromise.  Also we don't care much
for your old-man's eyesight."

João

PS: If only there was a way to make flex use another highlighting...