Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 08:43:52 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
>   address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2019 00:40:05 +0200
>
> >> This screenshot demonstrates different completion styles:
> >> https://www.chromestory.com/2018/05/omnibox-redesign/
> >> where "time" in the link from bookmark/history
> >> is highlighted in bold for flex completion style,
> >> but "time" in search results for prefix completion style
> >> is not highlighted.  Instead it highlights the remaining part
> >> to help the user to continue typing the highlighted characters.
> >
> > IMO and IME, this UI is optimized for clicking on the match you fancy,
> > not for continuing typing.
>
> The matches highlighted in the links from the history/bookmarks
> using flex completion style are intended for clicking, indeed.
> But the search results with the highlighted first difference
> and remaining string are intended for help in continuing typing
> to narrow the search results.

I don't think so.  The second image indeed shows in bold the string
following what the user typed (and we do the same, but only with the
first character), but the presentation clearly invites you to click on
a candidate, it has nothing specific for typing, unlike Emacs, which
specifically highlights the next character to type for narrowing the
list of candidates.

I'm not surprised by these differences, because as I said elsewhere in
this thread, the other applications present a completely different UI
for these completions.  We have discussed this with RMS long ago and
came to this conclusion, and IME it still stands, at least in
browsers.