Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 17:15:43 +0200

On 21.11.2019 17:09, João Távora wrote:
On 21.11.2019 17:00, João Távora wrote:
But in the GitLab/GitHub model, there is that
main repository, which is your duty to protect, and also
isolated from it, one for each "JR Random Hacker", a_fork_
(maybe Gitlab calls  it a "clone") that JR can randomly hack
away in.
I wanted to say this myself, but then tried forking in EMBA. And that
process is still stuck. So apparently forking is slow in GitLab:
https://gitlab.com/groups/gitlab-org/-/epics/607
This is a problem, as cheap forks are a cornerstone of
this model.

We can try using it. All depends on how many such contributors we get. The fork is completed now, lives here as an example: https://emba.gnu.org/dgutov/emacs

Of course, it's not as effortless as on GitHub, unfortunately.

In other words, in my view, it doesn't make
much sense to migrate to GitLab's issue tracker without
the integration with the forking system.  Presuming that
integration is similar to Github's, of course.

I disagree, naturally. We don't have a "PR workflow" now, so we won't lose anything by not enabling MR functionality for casual contributors. The bug tracker alone is better than Debbugs from a random user's point of view.