Re: On elisp running native

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 10:30:33 -0500

>> |             | byte-compiled | native-compiled | speed-up |
>> |-------------+---------------+-----------------+----------|
>> | interactive |           27s |             19s |     1.4x |
>> | batch       |           15s |              8s |     1.9x |

So, there's 11s-12s of "interactive cost".

>> To me makes quite sense that in interactive there's less difference
>> cause of the re-display done in C anyway.

I'm not sure what those 11s-12s come from, but I think it's safe to take
the "1.9x" as the more relevant measure in terms of measuring the impact
of native compilation on the speed of bytecomp.el.

> Regardless of the speed-up due to using native code, it sounds strange
> to me that byte-compiling interactively takes twice the time it takes
> non-interactively.  I have hard time convincing myself that redisplay
> has such a profound effect on byte compilation, since byte-compiling a
> file normally yields one or two lines of output, regardless of the
> size of the file being compiled.

I agree it's a bit surprising.  Even it was running in a "large"
interactive session, it could also be due to the time it takes to GC
a larger heap (tho we normally GC such larger heaps proportionally less
often, so that doesn't really explain it either).

But since this is orthogonal to the gccemacs native compilation, maybe
we should move it to a bug report where we can try and investigate it.

        Stefan