Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 14:59:16 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> How 'bout measuring the time to byte-compile a given set of files, then:
> first using the byte-compiled compiler and then using the
> native-compiled compiler (where "compiler" here means at least cconv.el,
> byte-opt.el, bytecomp.el, and macroexp.el)?

I did the following simple test.

I byte-compiled all files in emacs/lisp (avoiding sub-folders).  Using
two Emacs, one conventionally byte-compiled the other one after having
loaded all native compiled files.

Note that in this case all lisp files were native compiled at *speed 2*.

The result of this very preliminary test looks like this.  Please take
this with grain of salt:

|             | byte-compiled | native-compiled | speed-up |
|-------------+---------------+-----------------+----------|
| interactive |           27s |             19s |     1.4x |
| batch       |           15s |              8s |     1.9x |

To me makes quite sense that in interactive there's less difference
cause of the re-display done in C anyway.

To a quick look with perf seems garbage collection is also a
considerable part of the result.

I think is encouraging and I'd really like having somebody reproducing
these kind of measure.

I'll have more time to look into all of this in the week-end.

Andrea

--
address@hidden