Re: On elisp running native

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 06:03:54 +0000

Hello Andrea,

First off, I think this is very exciting news and possibly a major step
forward for Emacs.  So thank you.

Andrea Corallo wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Also, I'm wondering about debugging: I spend a lot of time in Emacs just
>> edebugging or in the *Backtrace* buffer.  Does the natively compiled
>> code mean that all that has to happen in gdb now?
> No, you can trap into native compiled code with a gdb as you can do it
> for any piece of the C core, but I would do that just for debugging the
> internals or the functionality of the generated code.  Should be
> something not routinely done for writing lisp.

I think the concern is whether natively compiled code would be less
debuggable.  And I think the answer would be: it depends.  If speed is
set to 3, maybe you forego some debugging features.  And if it's low
enough, debugging would hopefully work exactly the same as byte-compiled
code.  The default for building Emacs might be somewhere in between but
probably lean more towards debugging.

Are there more compiler parameters than speed, like debug, safety, space
as in CL?