Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a sin

From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov
Subject: Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 17:54:07 +0600

Hi all,

I want to explore the feasibility of displaying two (indirect) buffers
inside a single window, one after another. Each buffer has to look
like it's rendered in its own mode. For the starters, each buffer can
start on its own new line in the window. No interaction w/ text is
required for now.

I have been entertaining the idea since my proposal for lenses [1],
and now that I have some desire to get hacking a little, I want to see
if I can get onto this first ladder step to the goal. What concerns me
now is how to approach the problem. So, I come here to ask for your
advice and comments. You know, "it's dangerous to go alone, take
this!" sort of deal.

I guess I would first have to learn how the renderer functions. Any
good resources on that besides the source code?

Eventually, I would have to explore beyond the renderer and get to
play with the data structures, so I can do the interaction w/ text
possible. But that doesn't concern me all that much until I get to
actually draw some buffers together.

Any man-hour estimates? : )

Best,
DK