Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Ahmed Khanzada
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 19:10:44 -0700

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 17:42:07 -0700,
> A better language wins extensions, not a "popular" language, and Emacs
> Lisp is definitely more suited to extending editors than TypeScript.

I certainly agree with everyone that Lisp is fantastic, and that
extending Emacs with Emacs Lisp is a great pleasure. And that Emacs Lisp
is certainly superior to any other alternative that I know of. So please
don't think I would want Emacs to use anything other than Lisp.

However, despite Lisp being extraordinarily powerful (truly a "better
language"), no dialect of Lisp is a top 10 language. It seems unlikely
to me that there is no correlation between that fact and the popularity
and accessibility of Emacs.

However, even if there is a correlation, determining the exact nature
and extent of correlation is difficult.