Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 22:18:44 -0400

I think you've stated the arguments very well.  There are a couple of
points where I would say something less strong.

  > 3. If Emacs was to become a "modern" app tomorrow, an editor extended
  > in Lisp still only has appeal for a minority of programmers, much like
  > the Lisp language itself. Most programmers looking for easy and modern
  > experiences will likely stick with Atom and Sublime.

If Emacs were 100% as convenient and attractive as other editors,
it is possible that a lot of users would use it.  30 years ago,
the user profile of Emacs was much broader than it is today.
It would be good to make this happen again.

But that would require a number of changes, and I don't think that
round corners would get us close to there.

Thus, I think your point 3 is not valid in the universal sense that it
is presented in, but it is valid for the this particular issue.

If there are people who want to work on rounded corners, and assuming
they do a good job, I won't argue against it.  But if you want
to attract more users to Emacs, I think there are more important
areas for improvement.

--
Dr Richard Stallman