Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 13:04:01 -0400

On 22/04/2020 12.55, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm not sure I like this direction.  It sounds like the opposite of
> having an Emacs that looks more or less the same on all major
> platforms.  How will the users (and newbies at that, since we are
> talking about them primarily) be able to find their ways in Emacs, if
> the icons change with the desktop/platform, and every few years even
> on the same platform?  E.g., you buy the Emacs manual printed a year
> or 2 ago, but the icons it shows are all different from what's on
> display.  I don't even understand how will we be able to show the
> icons in our Info manual, if the images don't come with Emacs and are
> different on each platform/build.  Do we really want to go in that
> direction? just to say we look "modern"?  Something people should
> seriously think and make up their minds about before such decisions
> are made, I guess.

This is a legitimate worry, but you have to balance it against consistency with
other applications.  When I change my desktop theme, icons change in most apps,
and the same concept gets the same icon in all apps.

Emacs is partly like that, partly not: some icons change and some don't.

We can have a discussion on whether to use a unified icon set on all platforms,
but in the meantime making Emacs' behavior consistent would be a plus, and
should be an easy change.

Clément.