Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 00:46:05 +0300

From: Stefan Kangas<address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:42:44 +0200
Cc: Eli Zaretskii<address@hidden>, Clément Pit-Claudel<address@hidden>,
        Emacs developers<address@hidden>

Dmitry Gutov<address@hidden>  writes:

By the way, etc/images/README says:

* The default GTK icons were not overridden by the GNOME theme due to
a bug which was fixed in GNOME 2.15. Once GNOME 2.16 is in wide
circulation, the GTK icons should be replaced with the equivalent
GNOME icons.

Does that mean there is some action that was planned but never
performed?  Gnome 2.16 was released in 2006.
Please read this longish old discussion:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-02/msg00258.html

The answer to this question might be buried somewhere in it.

I've made an attempt, but the discussion is about copyright and providence of files, whereas the note seems to be about some functional problem.

I don't really understand it what it recommends we do now. It would seem as if GNOME icons can override GTK ones now (in some case where it couldn't before (?)), we could distribute GTK icons now and rely on GNOME to override them as appropriate?