Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 22:11:54 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I have been through the process with dash.el as you know, and while I
>> managed to get it into ELPA, I have not managed to update it for a while
>> because there are new contributors and the process is all too painful.
>
> The check has to be done right when a new contributor appears, not after
> the fact, indeed, otherwise it quickly becomes unmanageable.

Even then, there is no easy way of doing it, other than just asking and
taking it on trust. Or in some cases, just assuming, because they have
contributed directly to Emacs, for instance. In one case, I nearly did
this, and it turned out to be wrong.

It's probably not worth re-opening the debate on whether this needs to
happen at all, but it if this is mandated by the FSF then spending some
money on making it easier is surely worth it.

Phil